Recording Phone Interviews Using Total Recall for Android
Total Recall is an app for Android phones that can be used to record both sides of the conversation during a phone interview.
Reasonably priced at $10.00 (free demo available) it’s a very convenient way to record phone interviews. You should however check if it works with your particular Android device because it’s not compatible with all phones.
1. Records both sides of the conversation without having to use an external recorder or speaker phones.
2. Recordings can be emailed to your inbox or sent to Evernote. You can play them inside the app or using any standard audio
3. Allows you to record calls from or to specific numbers.
4. Has auto-start and auto-stop recording options.
5. Voice files can be saved in 4 different audio formats- 3GPP, MPEG4, AMR and WAV. The files can be played using the app or with any standard digital audio player.
1. May not work with all Android devices (the app website suggests you try the demo version before making a purchase).
2. May not record calls on some devices if you’re using a bluetooth headset.
3. You may have to put the call on speakerphone if your device only records through an external microphone.
4. The recording may not playback within the app on some devices and must be exported before you can listen to it.
Overall it sounds like a great app for people who conduct phone interviews frequently. I’ve seen some negative reviews from those who couldn’t run the app on their devices (hence the suggestion to use the demo first) but predominantly the feedback looks great.
Do remember to check your local call recording laws though and always inform the interviewee that you’re recording the call. Here’s a short video to show you how the app works.